Operating System Versions
The Emulator IIIx was released with a stripped down version of the EIII Operating System – EIIIx OS Version 1.0. However it was quickly upgraded with new DSP features, that went beyond the EIII capability (thanks to the EIIIx G-Chip).
You can check your OS version number from Master/Globals Module 8, Special 6.
The latest version of the Opearting System, which added very useful Akai and Emax II file imports over SCSI.
- Akai S1000/S1000 File Import – full translation via SCSI
- EMAX II File Import – full transalation via SCSI
- Time Compression – changes length without altering pitch
- Pitch Change – changes pitch without altering length
- Transform Multiplication – multiplies two samples to create a hybrid
- Doppler/PAN – moves sample in 2D space with pitch correction
- Exciter – adds brilliance or ‘cut’ to a sample
This version adds some nice DSP effects.
- Sample Calculator – calculates perfect single-cycle loops
- Change Gain – alters the level of all or part of a sample
- Sample Rate Convert – any rate from 7-50kHz
- Digital Tuning – retunes samples by +/-1 octave
- Compressor – full-function dynamic compressor
- Parametric EQ – Digital EQ with 12dB boost and 48dB cut
- Reverse Section – reverses all or part of a sample
- Stereo-Mono – converts Mono to Stereo and vice versa
- Swap Sides – swaps the sides of a stereo sample
- DC Filter – removes DC offset from sample
- Flip-Flop Keys – toggle Note On (press a key to start a sample, press again to turn it off — useful for long sound effect ambiences)
- Polyphonic Portamento – Glide with time up to 32 seconds/octave
- EG Attack Slope – selectable Envelope Attack, Linear or Logarithmic
This version added support for the EIIIx Remote Control software, plus:
- Audition Sample from Hard Disk – to listen to samples on hard disk in real time before they are loaded
- Scrub Wheel Editing – Use the pitch wheel to move quickly through a digital processing effect
- Sample Memory Defragmentation – defrags the sample memory thereby making long sampling sessions quicker
- Monitor Through Sampling – You can listen to the main outputs as you sample
- SCSI Problems with the Mac Quadra eliminated
- Undo mode is saved in EEPROM
- Cursors editing of samples works properly
This is an early version – possibly first customer ship.